Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Leaking Oil Cooler Lines
Thu. February 21, 2013, 5:34 pm
Leaking Oil Cooler Lines
Hello everyone - long time since I've been able to get on here. Hope everyone is well, and your cars are all running problem free!

I recently noticed an oil leak from the cooler lines where they meet the cooler. Being a poor student I ordered the cheap dorman part which *knock on wood* seems to be holding. This phenomenon is of course no secret to anyone, it's a common thing for the o-rings or the crimps to start to leak, especially since that area gets splashed with grime and road salt many months of the year.

Anyway, long story short if you're ever doing this repair, freezing your butt off in the middle of february, check to see if this repair has been done in the past, and if the last person to do it screwed it up. I had read beforehand that some people have easily stripped the pinch bolt at the cooler-end, and have drilled straight through the cooler, securing a bolt with a nut at the other end (in a space that was never designed to accomodate it). I was changing my oil at the time, and didn't realize this bolt fell into the drain pan. I spent a good couple hours cursing and freezing before I decided to call it a day, drained the pans and figured out what had happened. So much for a quick simple job.

04 P71 - 3L55 - 300000+ km - Coming Soon: Rear pinion seal repair!
[Image: imag003711.jpg]
Panther at dusk
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Thu. February 21, 2013, 7:57 pm
RE: Leaking Oil Cooler Lines
(Thu. February 21, 2013 5:34 pm)dgcox01 Wrote:  Hello everyone - long time since I've been able to get on here. Hope everyone is well, and your cars are all running problem free!

I recently noticed an oil leak from the cooler lines where they meet the cooler. Being a poor student I ordered the cheap dorman part which *knock on wood* seems to be holding. This phenomenon is of course no secret to anyone, it's a common thing for the o-rings or the crimps to start to leak, especially since that area gets splashed with grime and road salt many months of the year.

Anyway, long story short if you're ever doing this repair, freezing your butt off in the middle of february, check to see if this repair has been done in the past, and if the last person to do it screwed it up. I had read beforehand that some people have easily stripped the pinch bolt at the cooler-end, and have drilled straight through the cooler, securing a bolt with a nut at the other end (in a space that was never designed to accomodate it). I was changing my oil at the time, and didn't realize this bolt fell into the drain pan. I spent a good couple hours cursing and freezing before I decided to call it a day, drained the pans and figured out what had happened. So much for a quick simple job.

Hi, the cooler line is a good thing for cops because the engine run over time in idle. In your case, buy the adapter w/o cooling line and throw away this parts and you would never have leak. Doorman or the oem parts at the ford dealer, its the same piece of shit.

[Image: 1411c9b2.jpg]

2004 P-71 Laval unit
Best ET: 14.90 at 92 MPH
Engine: 311 horsepower and 367 lbs/foot at the crank

4.10 axel, ram air, steeda underdrive pulleys, new exhaust manifold ported and 2.25 magnaflow cat back system, upper plenum trick flow with 70mm BBK throttle bodies, 3 angles valve jobs with ported head and custom tune with SCT device
Thu. February 21, 2013, 9:25 pm
Mine were leaking on the 96' Vic. I replaced the o-rings with a pair I got from Crappy Tire and all has been well since.

[Image: sig.jpg]
1996 Grand Marquis
2003 Crown Vic
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Fri. February 22, 2013, 1:41 am
(Thu. February 21, 2013 7:57 pm)musclecrown Wrote:  Hi, the cooler line is a good thing for cops because the engine run over time in idle. In your case, buy the adapter w/o cooling line and throw away this parts and you would never have leak. Doorman or the oem parts at the ford dealer, its the same piece of shit.

I agree with you 100% my friend. Just get an oil filter adapter and a lower radiator hose from something without an oil cooler. Maybe $75 in parts, and it will never leak ever again.

I did this on my car and I am glad I did it. If you ever had any questions about it, feel free to ask me.

http://www.P71.ca Ford Crown Victoria Information & Links
http://www.P71Interceptor.ca Canadian hosted P71interceptor.com mirror
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Fri. February 22, 2013, 6:43 am
I end up by only changing the o rings on the hoses and problem is gone.
simple fix that costed me 5$ and took me 20 min

[Image: DSC05066_zps9dfec587.jpg]

The beauty and the beast

03 P74 73K original awaiting a few mods
04 P71 0 Miles curently being rebuilted comming soon summer 2014
Sat. February 23, 2013, 2:43 pm
Yeah I was actually going to replace the o-rings on the ford part I took off and put it back on there. Just couldn't have any down time with the vehicle lately - no backup car and midterm exams galore.

I don't even mind replacing a leaky hose once in a while. I bought this car specifically because I could be hard on it, both for work and play. I just don't like the thought of my adulterated oil cooler!

04 P71 - 3L55 - 300000+ km - Coming Soon: Rear pinion seal repair!
[Image: imag003711.jpg]
Panther at dusk

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  REAL Oil pressure?? racprops 7 164 Sun. April 27, 2014 9:35 pm
Last Post: racprops
  Oil Light pollenjesus 3 313 Mon. December 30, 2013 9:46 pm
Last Post: 2004p71
  Oil change 2007_Crown_Vic 8 494 Wed. September 04, 2013 7:47 pm
Last Post: scruff p71